Pakistan could import oxygen from China or Iran if COVID-19 crisis deepens; technical team visits Steel Mills
ISLAMABAD – As oxygen supply in Pakistan is under stress due to intensifying third wave of Covid-19 pandemic, Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry announced that life-saving gas could be imported from Iran and China if situation worsens in the country.
Addressing a press conference, he said importing oxygen from the neighbouring countries is easier than transporting it from other states via air.
Saying Pakistan is facing crisis due to the pandemic, he however asked people there is still no need to panic right now.
Islamabad Hospitals Suspend Surgeries to Save Oxygen
Amid fears of possible shortage of the gas, the Islamabad administration has barred all public hospitals to halt the all scheduled routine surgeries to save oxygen.
Pakistan has more than 5,000 coronavirus patients on critical care, with the country witnessing surge in deaths due to novel coronavirus amid third wave of the pandemic.
The CDA Hospital, the National Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, the Government Services Hospital, the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, and the Polyclinic have halted the surgeries.
There are seven patients who have been put on ventilators at PIMS hospital, while all ventilators at the Polyclinic have been occupied.
Efforts Expedite to Enhance Oxygen Production Capacity
A technical team visited the Pakistan Steel Mills in Karachi on Tuesday to inspect the oxygen plant.
The team also held meeting with chief executive officer of PSM Brigadier Retired Shuja Hassan.
Addressing the meeting, Shuja Hassan said that the plant will be successfully restored with the help of the federal government and the engineers of Pakistan Army.
The oxygen plant of Pakistan steel mills has the capacity to produce 260 tons of oxygen daily.
Pakistan reports 4,487 new cases, 142 deaths amid ... 09:06 AM | 27 Apr, 2021
ISLAMABAD – At least 142 people lost their lives due to the third wave of the novel coronavirus infection while ...
- PM Imran, CJP Gulzar take notice of mob attack on Hindu temple in RYK06:29 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Looking to upgrade your device on a budget? TECNO’s Spark 7 series ...05:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- 'Nothing to worry about,' FM Qureshi on not getting a call from US ...04:52 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Satellite imagery, financial data reveal construction of secret ...03:39 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah and Ali Rehman Khan to star in upcoming drama03:20 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Barbie debuts dolls in honour of real-life pandemic heroes02:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Maya Ali’s new dance video takes internet by storm02:32 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021