Innocent Zainab laid to rest amid tears, demand for justice

  • At least 2 dead and scores injured after police dispersed the protesters through aerial firing

KASUR – A seven-year-old innocent girl, who was slayed after being raped by unknown man, was laid to rest in Kasur on Wednesday night amid grief in Kasur, beside calling for expeditious justice in the case.

The inhuman act, which sent shock waves across the country, stirred violent protests against police and administration in Kasur.

At least two people have been killed and scores injured after police resorted to aerial firing to disperse hundreds of demonstrators who stormed the DC Office on Wednesday, demanding justice for the innocent girl.

Due to anger in public against the brutal act, the provincial government has decided to deploy Rangers troops in order to prevent any untoward incident. Markets, schools are closed in city to mourn the shocking killing.

Zainab, 7, was raped and killed in Kasur, days after she went missing from home. The victim’s parents, who were performing Umrah, reached Islamabad an hour after their daughter’s funeral – led by PAT chief Dr Tahirul Qadri – in Kasur.

Speaking to the media, Zainab’s father said, “In Pakistan, security is only for leaders and we are just common insects.” He further stated the police did nothing when they were informed about her abduction, and said Zainab was a loving child who had a keen interest in religion. “She knew the five Islamic kalmas by heart.”

“We will not bury our daughter until justice is served,” the child’s father said.

Zainab went missing five days prior to her body being found in a heap of garbage. As per details, the girl was abducted near her home when she was on her way to Holy Quran class. An FIR was registered on January 4 by the victim’s uncle Muhammad Adnan as the girl’s parents were out of the country when she went missing. The FIR was registered at Sadar police station in Kasur. Her body was found on Tuesday night.

After the incident, police sent the dead body to a hospital for postmortem. Initial reports revealed that the girl was raped multiple times.