LAHORE – The government of Punjab has earmarked a staggering Rs 35 billion for Orange cab scheme in the budgetary proposals for fiscal year 2017-18.
Article continues after the advertisement
The allocation was announced by provincial minister for finance Ayesha Ghaus Pasha on Friday who presented a rosy picture of economic indicators during his budget speech.
The minister told the house that as many as 50,000 vehicles would be handed over to the jobless youth across the province under the banner of ‘Apna Rozgar’ scheme of provincial government.
‘The cabs would be provided via interest free installments to youth’ said Ayesha Ghaus Pasha.
This is the 10th consecutive and most probably the last budget presented by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz before the next general elections scheduled to held in 2018.
The total outlay of the provincial budget is Rs 1.977 trillion and the development budget is 15 per cent more than the current fiscal year.
Details regarding allocation of funds for different sector are as follows:
- The government has allocated 20 billion for agriculture in the province.
- Rs635 billion allocated for annual development program.
- Rs 95 billion for roads.
- Rs57 billion have been allocated for Water and sanitation.
- A total of 341 billion have been allocated for education in Punjab.
- Rs57 billion have been fixed for health sector.
- Rs 20 billion have been fixed for DHQs, THQs.
- Primary healthcare will get a Rs1 billion boost in the next fiscal year.
- An amount of Rs 20.4126 billion has been allocated in the fiscal year 2017-18 for the provision of free medicines.
Salaries & Pension
A 10 per cent raise has been made in the salaries and pension of provincial government employees.
- Rs52.35 billion will be allocated for school education.
- A sum of Rs230 billion has been set aside for District Education Authorities.
- Rs28 billion have been fixed for providing basic facilities at government schools.
- Rs6.03 billion have been set aside for construction of new classrooms in Punjab schools.